The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department closed Tanwax Lake on Friday after algae was spotted on the lake. According to a news release, the closure was “out of an abundance of caution” as the lake didn't have elevated levels of toxic algae. The decision was taken as a precaution because of the lake's high recreational use.
People and pets should stay out of the water while the lake is closed. Exposure to high levels of toxic algae increases risk to illness. Signs are posted at the lake letting people know of the advisory. Symptoms of toxic algae exposure include: muscle weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
The lake will be inspected again this week. If the algae bloom is no longer there, the advisory will be in place for two weeks, according to the news release. See the current surface water advisories at www.tpchd.or/advisories.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Sign in to comment