Savvy Senior: How to replace important documents that are lost or missing

Dear Savvy Senior,

Can you tell me what I need to do to replace a variety of important documents? Our house burned down a few months ago, and we lost everything including our home property deed, car titles, old tax returns, Social Security, Medicare and Covid vaccine cards, birth certificates, marriage license and passports.

Stressed Seniors


Dear Stressed,

I’m very sorry for your loss, but you’ll be relieved to know that replacing important documents that are destroyed, lost or stolen is pretty easy once you know where to turn. Here are the replacement resources for each document you mentioned.

Birth certificates: If you were born in the United States, contact the vital records office in the state where you were born (see for contact information). This office will give you specific instructions on what you need to do to order a certified copy and what it will cost you — usually between $10 and $30.

Car titles: Most states offer replacements through a local department of motor vehicles office. You’ll need to complete a replacement title application form and pay the application fee, which varies by state. You’ll also need to show ID and proof that you own the car, such as your vehicle registration or your license-plate number and VIN (vehicle identification number). To get an application, go to, pick your state, and print it or fill it out on the site.

Property deed: To access your house deed, contact your county clerk’s office, where deeds are usually recorded — you may be charged a small fee to get a copy.

Marriage certificate: Contact the vital records office of the state you were married in to order a copy ( You’ll need to provide full names for you and your spouse, the date of your wedding, and the city or town where the wedding was performed. Fees range from $10 to $30.

Social Security cards: In most states (except in Alabama, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma and West Virginia), you can request a replacement Social Security card online for free at

If you live in a state that the online service is not available, you’ll need to fill out form SS-5 (see to print a copy) and take it in or mail it to your nearby Social Security office along with a number of evidence documents that are listed on this form. For more information or to locate the Social Security office that serves your area, call 800-772-1213 or see

Medicare cards: If you are enrolled in original Medicare, you can replace a lost or damaged Medicare card by calling Medicare at 800-633-4227, or by logging into your account. If, however, you get Medicare health or drug benefits from a Medicare Advantage Plan, such as an HMO, PPO or PDP, you’ll need to call your plan to get your card replaced.

COVID-19 vaccination card: Your first step is to go back to your vaccination site and see if they’ll give you a replacement. Bring an ID and try to recall the date you were vaccinated. If that’s not feasible, contact your state health department immunization information system (see where you should be able to print out a replacement sheet.

Tax returns: To get copies of old tax returns start with your tax preparer, who usually keeps copies of your returns on file. You can also get copies of federal returns directly from the Internal Revenue Service. You’ll need to fill out and mail in IRS form 4506. To download this form, or call 800-829-3676 and ask them to mail you a copy. The cost is $43 for each return requested.

Passports: You can apply for a replacement passport at a Passport Application Acceptance Facility. Many post offices, public libraries and local government offices serve as such facilities. You can search for the nearest authorized facility at The fee is $145.


Send your senior questions to: Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070, or visit Jim Miller is a contributor to the NBC Today show and author of “The Savvy Senior” book.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment