We are extremely apologetic for the continued bus cancellations. The hardship this places on families is extremely difficult and we understand that this is very challenging for everyone.
We want to thank those who attended and shared ideas at our transportation forum last Wednesday and those who shared ideas using the transportation feedback form. We are always open to ideas and solutions. If you have other ideas to share, please go to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRGNK4qBuh2ejPepkgeLyB2guTxXe7U3wuQ-xmauLcPJfEfA/viewform.
We are working as quickly as we can to analyze your ideas and implement short-term and long-term solutions. We appreciate your patience as we work non-stop to address this challenge.
Meanwhile, there are steps we are taking as a district to assist families:
• The district will continue to provide free before and after school supervision for families impacted by the route cancellations:
• Students are welcome to be dropped off at CCA starting at 6 a.m. and need to be picked up by 3:30 p.m.
• Students are welcome to be dropped off at EES from EHS/EMS starting at 6:30 a.m. and need to be picked up by 4 p.m.
• Students are welcome to be dropped off at WES starting at 6:30 a.m. and need to be picked up by 4 p.m.
• The transportation department will provide transportation for your child at an earlier or later time once a driver completes their route and becomes available. To utilize this option please communicate with the Transportation Department through the Ride360 message center.
To provide an update regarding the current status of hiring bus drivers, we would like to announce the following:
• We have received one substitute bus driver application.
• We have received 25 bus driver applicants.
• We have four with incomplete applications. We have sent emails to request those individuals to complete the application process.
• All others have been contacted through email or phone with next steps.
• Nine of the 25 applicants have expressed interest in proceeding with bus driver training. We have sent the nine interested applicants the linked directions to begin the process. There are six steps the applicants need to complete prior to behind the wheel training.
• Out of the 25 applicants, we have hired two drivers who are coming to our district with a CDL and the required bus endorsements. We are in the process of onboarding. We are hoping to have these two drivers behind the wheel by mid-October.
• If you have any leads on a potential bus driver candidate, apply at https://ats4.atenterprise.powerschool.com/ats/job_board_form?op=view&JOB_ID=4600285971&REPRESENTATIVE_COMPANY_ID=JA001169&COMPANY_ID=JA001160
In full transparency, we want to inform families of the situation we are currently facing:
• We need to hire 10 bus drivers to fill the current routes to ensure each route has an assigned bus driver.
• All of our transportation department staff members pause their normal daily job responsibilities and drive a route. This slows down the process of all other aspects of hiring, onboarding and training as well as fixing mechanical issues with the buses.
• We are in the process of hiring a new transportation secretary.
• We only have two substitute bus drivers who are already driving routes that remain unfilled. This causes routes to get canceled when a driver is sick.
• We are exploring ways to rotate the route cancellations.
Your ongoing commitment and partnership with our district is deeply valued.